Children's porcelain tea sets are a staple of any child's toy collection. Memories of tea parties with favorite toys, friends, or family members will last for years to come, so why settle for cheap plastic versions? There are many options for finding the perfect kid's porcelain tea set to meet your budget.
Where to Buy Children's Porcelain Tea Sets
While it may seem counter-intuitive to buy a fragile tea set for children, it makes tea parties feel more realistic and special while offering a chance for your child to learn about responsibility. Many retailers offer vintage, hand-painted, decorative, and plain porcelain or ceramic tea sets for kids of all ages.
Exquisite Decor and Gifts
Exquisite Decor and Gifts, a family-owned company based in Georgia, carries nearly 40 options in children's tea sets and accessories. Prices range from $40 to $180 with most falling in the $40 to $60 range. Many of the sets come in a wicker basket carrying case and all orders over $125 ship for free. The best part of shopping at this online retailer is the huge selection of both feminine and gender-neutral options.
- For only $44 you can buy the Butterfly Tea Set for Two which comes in a wicker basket lined with yellow and white checkered fabric. All pieces are white with subtle butterflies and polka dots scattered around. Each set comes with two cups and saucers, two dessert plates, a 4-ounce teapot, sugar and creamer dishes, and two sets of forks and spoons.
- The Ballerina Slippers Children's Tea Set for 4 features a small raised floral design. Available for around $65, this adorable set is hand painted and comes in a storage gift box. Each cup holds four ounces of liquid - the perfect amount for a lovely tea party.
English-Teapots.com has about 10 different sets for kids with the traditional English-style tea settings. Prices range from $34 to $60 and the selection includes mostly feminine designs. Shipping from this California-based company is about $10 per order and international shipping is available. While the sets from this retailer are uniquely English, some shoppers such as parents of boys might not love all the "for girls" terminology used on the site.
- If classic is your goal, the 13-piece Pink Rose Tea Set is perfect. Each piece is white with small pink roses all over and gold gilt highlights. For about $60 you get a 16-ounce teapot, sugar and creamer dishes, four sets of cup and saucer all packaged in a fabric-lined gift box.
- The White Butterflies Porcelain Kids Tea Set provides a full tea service and comes in a lovely gift box. The off-white set features butterfly designs and a tea pot with a lid, one sugar jar with a lid, one creamer container, two sets of cups and saucers, and one tray. Buy for around $35.
Roses and Teacups
Roses and Teacups is owned by two friends who love all things feminine, roses, and tea and has been in business for 13 years, making them a highly trusted retailer. Their more than 30 options come with free shipping on domestic orders over $49 and only a $4 flat rate on smaller purchases. Prices range from $40 to $80 and most come in a wicker basket. Customers on their company guestbook share their satisfaction with quality and selection with one person sharing, "We have had to search far and wide for porcelain tea sets. It's wonderful to have all of my needs in one place!"
- When you want to steer clear of traditionally feminine designs, the Blue Hydrangea Tea Set is a great choice. This pastel blue wicker basket with blue and white checkered lining has a closure and carrying handle for only $44. The set includes a mini teapot, sugar and creamer dishes, two cups, two saucers, two forks, and two spoons.
- Sasha's Secret Garden Tea Set is an elegant ivory set with pale jewel tone flowers on vines encircling each piece. The hand-wash-only set costs about $40. The set comes in a gift box with a tray drawer and carrying handles. Pieces include a teapot, tray, two cups, two saucers, a sugar dish, and a creamer dish.
If you're looking for a vintage children's tea set, Etsy is a great option with hundreds of vintage sets for sale by different individual sellers. You'll find individual pieces and sets ranging from $3 to $800. Options include antique sets, miniature sets, rare finds, and individual pieces from around the world. Since most of these vintage kids tea sets are rare finds, there is typically only one available. If you find one you love, don't hesitate to buy it before it's gone. Vintage and antique sets make great family heirlooms, but they'll be harder to fix or replace missing pieces.
How to Make Your Own Children's Tea Set
Another affordable option is to purchase pieces from a local thrift store or garage sale or use old pieces you may have on hand. Cups and saucers can be picked up for pennies although teapots can be a bit harder to find. If these items get broken, you won't mind because they were so inexpensive. Don't worry about mixing from different themes, there are many ways to make it look like its own unique set.
- Mix plain white items with colored pieces to make the set look cohesive.
- Choose a color theme, such as blue or yellow, and buy different items in the same color scheme.
- Pull everything together with a matching tablecloth and napkins and put into a pretty basket.
How to Care for Your Mini Tea Set
There are tons of children's tea sets available in all kinds of materials from plastic to tin. But, if you choose a ceramic or porcelain set you'll need to provide more tender loving care.
Washing a Children's Tea Set
Some new porcelain tea sets are dishwasher safe while older or high-end versions are not. Always check with the retailer to ensure you know how to properly care for the tea set you have purchased. When hand-washing a tea set, do so in a small plastic tub instead of your sink to prevent breakage. You'll also want to make sure you're using a soft cloth to wash the item because hard scrubbing materials could scratch the paint or the surface.
Dealing With Breaks and Missing Pieces
It's inevitable that if you combine porcelain and a child at least one piece of the set will get broken. Even adults tend to break pieces out of their tea sets.
- If you have invested in a matching set, you may want to find a resource that offers single pieces, like eBay.
- Buy two less expensive sets and keep the second set on hand to replace broken pieces out of the main set.
- If you choose to piece together a set from thrift stores or garage sales, replacing items will be as simple as finding a new piece in your color scheme.
Time for Tea
Now that you have the perfect child's porcelain tea set, take the time to plan a fun tea party for a birthday or other occasion. Tea parties are the perfect place to learn and practice good manners, such as please and thank you or placing a napkin in your lap while eating.