Although it's tempting to dress infants and toddlers up in beautiful jewelry, resist the urge. Young children love to put everything in their mouths, and jewelry poses many hazards, including:
- Coating can be toxic.
- Beads and jewels are choking hazards.
- Metals, beads, and jewels can cut young mouths.
- Clasps can detach and pose choking hazards.
- Chords and necklaces present a risk of strangulation.
- Young children can remove earrings and choke on them.
Safety Guidelines for Toddler Jewelry
If you do decide to allow infants or toddlers to wear jewelry, do so under the following conditions:
- Observe the age guidelines on toy or costume jewelry.
- Do not allow the child to put jewelry in her mouth.
- Do not leave a young child alone while wearing jewelry.
- Leave jewelry on for short periods of time. For example, if your daughter is wearing jewelry for a photo session, remove it as soon as the session is over.
- Remove earrings if your child pulls or tugs at them.
Jewelry for older kids is abundant. From costume jewelry to precious metals, children's jewelry is available in every taste, style, and price range. Make sure you explain to your children the difference between a precious piece of jewelry that can be worn for special occasions and fun, everyday or "play" jewelry such as plastic beads.
Birthstone children's jewelry never seems to go out of style. It has long been believed that birthstones bring good luck and protection to their wearers. Whether your children believe the folklore surrounding birthstones or they simply enjoy wearing the jewels of their birth month, birthstone jewelry is readily available. You can find birthstones adorning:
- Toe Rings
Birthstone jewelry for children runs the gamut from costume jewelry with faux jewels to fine jewelry with natural stones.
List of Birthstones
The months and their corresponding stones are as follows:
- January -- Garnet
- February -- Amethyst
- March -- Aquamarine
- April -- Diamond
- May -- Emerald
- June -- Pearl
- July -- Ruby
- August -- Peridot
- September -- Sapphire
- October -- Opal
- November -- Topaz
- December -- Turquoise
Personalized Children's Jewelry
Most things can be personalized, and jewelry is no exception. Children love to have gifts with a one-of-a-kind feel. Personalization is one way to accomplish this. Personalization of children's jewelry can be achieved in a number of ways.
Most jewelry made of gold or sterling silver can be engraved. Parents can have a special message scripted on the backs of watches, bracelets, rings, and pendants. The inscription can also be the focal point. Names, letters, or nicknames can be engraved on the front of pendants or charms for a unique look. The following sites offer engraved jewelry:
- BeadifulBABY offers yellow gold ID bracelets for ages infant to 8.
- Etsy offers a wide selection of personalized jewelry, including dog tags, which are popular with boys.
Letter pendants or charms can be bought to adorn necklaces, key chains, and bracelets. Many children and teens enjoy wearing their initials.
Beaded name jewelry is quite popular. Letter beads are available in gold, sterling silver, pewter, porcelain, and plastic. They can be used to make name bracelets, necklaces, pins, or watches. Unique charms, birthstones, and crystals can be added for extra personalization. Whether you decided to make it yourself or purchase from a professional, name jewelry is always well-received. Some sites selling name bracelets include:
Photo jewelry is relatively new. Using cutting edge technology, companies are able to reproduce your photgraphs on gold, silver, and beads. Lockets, charms, bracelets, and necklaces are now available with photos. You can adorn jewelry with photos of your child, the family, friends, a pet, or anything else your child holds dear. The following sites offer photo jewelry:
- Kennebug Boutique offers beaded bracelets and keychains with unique photo beads. Bracelets are available in both adult and child sizes.
- PicturesOnGold offers a variety of pendants that can be personalized with engravings and photographs.
If your children love jewelry, but cannot handle the responsibility of precious metals or fine gemstones, consider costume jewelry. Costume jewelry is often colorful, fashionable, and fun. Costume jewelry can be found at WalMart, Target, Kohl's, and most other clothing stores and kids' stores.