If you are looking for a homeschool program that provides a Catholic curriculum, Seton homeschool may be the perfect choice.
What is Seton Homeschool?
The Seton Home Study School program is one of the most popular religious homeschool curricula. Developed in 1980 by Dr. Anne Carroll, the Seton Home Study School grew out of the success of the Seton Junior and Senior High School in Manassas, Virginia, started by Dr. Carroll in 1975. She developed the homeschool program in response to numerous requests by Catholic families asking for correspondence courses.
The home study program increased significantly in 1985 when Dr. Mary Kay Clark took over as director of the division. Under her direction the homeschool program grew to a current enrollment of more than 10,000 students.
The division also supplies thousands of additional Catholic families, and many small Catholic schools, with textbooks, workbooks and educational materials through their book publishing division. In the United States, Seton is the largest publisher of Catholic workbooks and textbooks.
The Seton Home Study School Curriculum
The Seton curriculum provides a Catholic-based curriculum for students in kindergarten through grade twelve. Incorporated into each subject area are the catechisms and faith-based values of Catholicism. The subjects included in the curriculum include:
- Foreign language
- Health and manners
Each of the subjects covered in the curriculum is based on the Church. Several examples include:
- First grade mathematics book - Mathematics 1 for Young Catholics
- Third grade reading includes Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus and Padre Pio
- Fourth grade history book - The Catholic Faith Comes to the New World
- Eighth grade history book - American for Young Catholics
The mathematics curriculum from kindergarten through third grade is Catholic based. During the fourth grade students transition to a secular mathematics instruction. From the fifth grade through grade twelve, students use the Saxon mathematics program.
Seton Home Study School also provides additional services including:
- Individualized curriculum for students with special needs.
- Online courses
- Audio lectures
- Independent study
The following courses, totaling twenty-two credits, must be completed to graduate from Seton Home Study School with a high school diploma.
- English - 4 credits
- Literature - 1 credit
- Language Mechanics - 1 credit
- Religion - 4 credits
- Science - 2 credits
- Mathematics - 2 credits
- Foreign language - 2 credits
- Social studies - 3 credits
- Electives - 3 credits
The Seton program provides copies of transcripts to graduating students or to third parties.
At the time of this article, tuition for the Seton Home Study School was $490 per year per child. The school offers the following discount to families with more then one child enrolled.
- Two children - $930
- Three children - $1320
- Four children - $1710
- More than four children - $330 for each additional child
There is a monthly payment plan available for tuition payments.
When a student enrolls into the Seton program the tuition fee includes:
- Lesson plans
- Shipping and handling charges
In addition to the tuition fee, there are also program fees. These fees include:
- Application fee for a new family - $30
- Kindergarten enrollment - $195 each child
- Middle school fee (grades 4-5) - $25 for each student per year
- Junior high school fee (grades 6-8) - $45 for each student per year
- High school fee (grades 9-12) - $175 for each student per year
- Math book fee - $20 for each Saxon textbook, Geometry textbook or Solutions Manual
Seton Home Study School is nationally and internationally accredited. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools is the national accrediting agency and the international accrediting agency is the Commission on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation. The United States Department of Education recognizes both as being accrediting agencies. Being accredited means an independent agency inspected the Seton Home Study School and determined it meets certain standards including:
- Course of studies
- Accounting practices
- Business practices
- Handling of academic records
A strong faith-based homeschool program, the Seton homeschool curriculum adheres to the principles of the Catholic Church.