Kids' persuasive speech topics cover everything from current events to age old childhood milestones. If you've been assigned a persuasive writing speech, look for a topic you know a lot about and really stand behind.
Easy Persuasive Speech Topics for Beginners
Students in grades two and up who are just starting to learn about the different types of essays and writing can select easy topics about things they are very familiar with. These persuasive writing prompts work great for short speeches.
Fun and Interesting Topics
- Kids should start every morning with yoga.
- Cereal is not a healthy breakfast.
- Showering every day isn't important.
- Kids' clothing should always be designed by kids.
- Being a YouTube star is a real job.
- Boredom is good for kids.
- Borrowing books from the library is better than buying them from a store.
- Hamsters are the best first pet for kids.
- Every person is completely unique.
- My town is the best place for families with young children to live.
- Being an only child is better than having siblings.
- Kids should have TVs in their bedrooms.
- Jeans are the most uncomfortable article of clothing.
- Cursive writing shouldn't be taught in schools.
- Lunch periods should be longer for younger kids and shorter for older kids.
- Kids shouldn't be allowed to bring homemade treats to share at school.
- Homework should be optional for kids.
- Schools should mandate that all kids learn about all holidays celebrated around the world.
- All schools should have outdoor classrooms available.
- All foods should be grown or raised by small farmers.
- Playing video games is a good hobby for kids.
- Gardening is an easy way to eat healthier.
- Reading is more important than math.
- Kids should get to choose what classes they take in elementary school.
- People's differences make the world a more interesting place.
- Kids under age 13 shouldn't be allowed to have jobs anywhere in the world.
- The world is round.
- Dinosaurs really did exist and go extinct.
- People should only be allowed to eat food that grows or lives in their country.
- International pen pals are good for kids.
- Learning a second language is helpful for everyone.
- There should be one form of money that every country uses.
- Every country should have its own kind of schools.
- Governments should offer free travel to other countries for educational purposes.
Intermediate Persuasive Speech Topics for Children
Kids in upper elementary grades who have some practice in writing persuasive speeches can choose topics that might be a little more controversial. These unique speech topics leave room for longer arguments and feature more interesting subjects.
Fun and Interesting Topics
- Kids should have cell phones.
- Kids, not adults, should decide how much screen time to have each day.
- Every town should be required to have a playground.
- Waffle cones are better than regular ice cream cones.
- Dogs are better companions than cats.
- Wearing pajamas in public is inappropriate.
- Short hair is for boys and long hair is for girls.
- Kids should have fewer toys and more cardboard boxes to play with.
- Girls like to play with action figures.
- Pokemon are cooler than Yo Kai.
- Mosquitos are the most annoying of all bugs.
- Zoos are unsafe for young children.
- Kids under age 13 should be banned from having social media accounts.
- Classrooms shouldn't have traditional desks.
- School lunches should include some junk food options.
- Every school should have child representatives on their hiring committee.
- Naps are important for kids of all ages, not just babies and toddlers.
- The government should stop making paper money and only use coins.
- Robots make life easier for humans.
- Children's books should be written by children.
- Field trips and real-world experiences are more useful than classroom lectures.
- Columbus discovered America.
- Kids should be allowed to skip high school and go to college early if they want.
- Dancing in public should be outlawed.
- Voice recognition locks are safer than fingerprint recognition locks.
- People should only eat foods they grow or catch.
- All people in the world should speak English.
- All countries should have the same rules about weapons.
- Every child should spend a year living in another country with their family.
- Men and women should have the same rights no matter what country they live in.
- Adults should encourage child participation in strikes and marches for important causes.
- The current U.S. President represents the country well.
- Global competition is good for everyone.
Advanced Persuasive Speech Topics for Kids
Upper elementary and lower middle grade students with lots of speech writing experience can pick more complex topics that elicit bigger emotional reactions.
Fun and Interesting Topics
- TV shows and movies for kids should have stronger content guidelines.
- Real life heroes like police officers and firefighters would be more approachable if they dressed like Power Rangers and other super heroes.
- Virtual reality games are better than 3D games.
- Parents of bullies should be punished for their child's actions.
- "Crap" and "Heck" are bad words.
- Riding a bike is not that easy.
- Funny cat videos are funnier than funny baby videos.
- There's no such thing as too many stuffed animals.
- Goats say "maa," not "baa."
- Kids sports are safe.
- Holidays shouldn't be celebrated in schools.
- Kids should rate their teachers at the start and end of every school year.
- Recess and classroom physical activity breaks help kids focus in school.
- School buses should have a driver and at least two aides.
- Classes should be grouped by ability levels rather than ages.
- Technology makes people's lives better.
- Middle school is still elementary school.
- Schools should mandate classes where kids teach each other.
- No one, teachers or students, should be allowed to bring cell phones into the school.
- Kids should be allowed to take off their shoes in their classroom.
- Students should not have to ask permission to take drinks and bathroom breaks.
- Global warming isn't real.
- Every country can have its own guidelines for who is allowed to leave or enter.
- Kids can help combat climate change.
- Astronauts will find life on other planets.
- Daylight Savings Time should be eliminated.
- Aquariums and zoos help with wildlife conservation.
- People should be allowed to clone animals.
- Sugar should be outlawed.
- McDonald's is better than Burger King.
- Tribal cultures should be preserved.
- Companies should not be allowed to build their products in other countries.
- People should call countries by their native name, not a translated name.
More Speech Topics for Kids
Speech topic examples and ideas from other types of speeches can be adapted to persuasive writing with a few minor wording changes.
- Get students started with motivational speech topics for kids that are uplifting and less controversial.
- Beginning writers can select simple kids speech topics for their first persuasive essays.
- Some of the most interesting speech topics for kids include subjects they haven't encountered in real life.
- Use examples of funny speeches for kids to show how students can inject humor into any kind of speech.
State Your Case
Most people agree that writing in elementary school is important because it gives kids a way to express their thoughts and feelings in a way others can understand. Persuasive writing is all about stating your case, or point, and all the facts that support this opinion. Choose a topic you believe in or are passionate about to create the best persuasive speech.