Handmade wooden toys that move are great options for kids.
Some of the most common complaints from parents regarding today's toys include the following:
- Expensive-Kids are bombarded with toy advertisements on TV and by other forms of media. The toys that are pushed can be quite expensive and may strain a family's budget. While kids think that they must have a particular toy, all too often that toy is only played with for a short amount of time before it is discarded.
- Cheaply made-Not only can manufactured toys be overpriced, but they can also be very cheaply made. Toys are typically manufactured in bulk, and these mass-produced toys won't often stand up to the test of time.
- Dangerous-With the long list of recalls seemingly growing longer every day, parents are hesitant to purchase new toys, never knowing if the toys they've just bought will soon be added to another recall list.
With these complaints comes the motivation to search out other options. Handmade wooden toys that move may be just the solution you are looking for. The reasons are simple.
- Dollar Value-Handmade wooden toys typically aren't mass-produced, meaning their construction is much more solid. They are also usually American made. Not only will you get more for your money, but the toy will last for years, maybe even generations!
- Safety-Unless you specifically order a painted wooden toy, handmade wooden toys are often sold as unpainted and unstained. This eliminates the worry that your kids might be exposed to lead paint as they handle the toy. Properly constructed wooden toys should have been sanded and smoothed, and parts should be in working order. The toy should be solidly built, and removable parts should be large enough to prevent choking.
- Imagination-One of the best reasons for purchasing handmade wooden toys that move is encouraging your child's imagination. Sure, these toys won't have buzzing and beeping sounds. They won't shoot out lights or move by remote. What they will do, however, is inspire your child to play creatively. There are no limitations to a child's imagination, and a handmade wooden toy is the perfect plaything for your child to spend hours absorbed in just plain fun.
Creating Your Own Handmade Wooden Toys That Move
Want to try your hand at creating your own handmade wooden toys? You'll need a variety of supplies, like the following:
- Wood (You may be able to find scrap wood at your local hardware store for free!)
- Drill (You'll need assorted drill bits as well)
- Nails, screws, washers
- Paint (optional)
Before you begin creating any toy, keep in mind the age of the child to whom you'll give the toy. Wooden toys that move often have smaller parts, such as screws, nails, washers, etc. Although the toy may be very well constructed, you don't want to risk giving a child something that could become a choking hazard.
You can create your own toys on your own or by following a particular pattern. If you have some experience already, you may able to simply copy the construction of an already made toy. If you've never attempted to build a wooden toy, however, it is probably easier if you follow a pattern. There are numerous patterns on the Internet that you can purchase or even copy for free. Check out the following sites, and get started creating a toy that can be handed down from one generation to the next!
- Curbly-Find all sorts of free wooden toy patterns at this popular site.
- Easy-to-Make Articulated Wooden Toys - This downloadable eBook can be purchased online and offers numerous wooden toy patterns.
- Toys and Joys-Access a great list of wooden patterns to purchase at this site.